[MBYE 21] Abbi Perets on Maternal Mental Health, Raising a Child With a Dual Diagnosis, and Finding Herself After Trauma
MEET THE GUEST:
Abbi Perets wants moms to know they don’t have to choose between kids and career. She’s the coach and mentor moms turn to when they want to break into freelance writing and earn great money from home, on their own terms.
Abbi combines nearly 20 years of experience freelancing for some of the world’s biggest companies with firsthand knowledge of having five kids of her own — including one with special needs. She understands the unique challenges moms face every day and has created programs specifically tailored to meet those challenges and empower moms all over the world to have it all.
In this episode, we cover:
- How Abbi started a successful freelance business working for some of the largest companies in the world
- Shutting her business down overnight when her son received a leukemia diagnosis
- How starting Successful Freelance Moms saved her from her depression
- How she helps other moms who are looking for the financial and emotional freedom that freelancing provides
This message from Abbi summarizes the wisdom she’s gained from the various challenges she’s faced over the last few years. She writes, “I decided a long time ago that my mental health matters more to me than making other people feel comfortable, so I'm pretty good at saying, "I'm not sure what you think is helpful about that comment," or "I'm asking for your support right now, and your criticism isn't supportive." So When you go through trauma, you will then have to deal with PTSD. And ignoring it will NOT make it go away. At some point, you have to make a choice: You can DEAL with what you went through and address it and get help, whatever that means for you (medication, therapy, etc) and take active steps towards rebuilding your life, OR you can pretend to be okay and continue NOT being okay and stay unhappy. Asking for help is the bravest thing you can do. It DOES take courage, and it is SO IMPORTANT.
Where To Connect with Abbi Online:
Connect with Mia Francis-Poulin!
- Find out how you can work with Mia at www.racreative.co
- Catch up with Mia on Instagram.
- Join the Mama, Build Your Empire Group on Facebook.